A LEGACY OF GREATNESS
DARRELL M. COLLINS, AVIATION HISTORIAN
MEET THE STORYTELLER...
Wright Brothers Legacy
Retired from the National Park Service at The Wright Brothers Memorial where he served as Historian and Park Ranger for over 38 years, Darrell has decided to continue his life's passion of telling the story of two bicycle mechanics whose genius would change the world forever!
A Profile In Story Telling
Since 1988, Darrell has been on the Aviation/Aerospace Lecture Circuit National and Internationally. His appearances include:
• Five time speaker at the Washington DC Aero Club Wright Memorial Dinner (presentation of the Wright Memorial Trophy)
• Regular speaker at the “Speakers’ Showcase Series” at the Oshkosh Fly-In
• Speaker at the Sun n’ Fun EAA Fly-In
• National Air Transportation Assoc.
• Flight Safety Int'l
• Aerospace Industry Assoc. of America
• Alaskan Aviation North Expo
• US Aviation Light Sport Expo –Sebring, FL
• Lockheed Martin Awards Banquet
• Cessna Annual Convention
•University of North Dakota at Fargo Aviation Expo
• University of Minnesota Crookston
Christopher Newport University
ayne State University
• Australian International Air Show
• AWARDS: • ROTARY INTERNATIONAL – PAUL HARRIS FELLOW • HONORARY MEMBER OF THE VIRGINIA HISTORICAL AVIATION SOCIETY • STATE OF NORTH CAROLINA – ORDER OF THE LONG LEAF PINE(Presented to me by the Governor of NC on the floor of the General Assembly) • EXPERIMENTAL AIRCRAFT ASSOCIATION – PRESIDENTS AWARD • FEDERATION AERONAUTIQUE INTERNATIONALE – PAUL TISSENDIER DIPLOMA
Commissioner of the Town of Manteo, NC
Mayor Pro Tem of the Town of Manteo, NC
Chairman of the Pea Island Preservation Society, Inc.
Dare County Parks and Recreation Basketball Coach(1995-Present)
Chairman of the Professional Advisory Committee/End of Life
Chairman of Dare County Home Health Care & Hospice
Founding Member of the Outer Banks History Center Assoc.
Lifetime Member of the First Flight Society
Darrell has a direct link to the interpretive stories told at the Fort Raleigh National Historic Site. He is a descendant of the Freedmen’s Colony that settled on Roanoke Island in 1862, can trace his family’s heritage back to the Native Americans on Roanoke Island and is a member of the Roanoke Hatteras Indian Tribe. He has 2 adult sons, a grandson, Barkley and resides on Historic Roanoke Island with his wife, Tonya.
Darrell has gotten 2019 off to a great start! He is the President of the non-profit organization, Pea Island Preservation Society, Inc., and continues sharing the story of Richard Etheridge and the Pea Island Life-Savers with Dare County 4th/5th graders along with other members of the organization. This is another passion of his as his family has a rich history of service with the Life-Saving Service and modern day United States coast Guard. Darrell has upcoming private speaking engagements on the Wright Brother's with the Dare County Visitors Bureau, Hampton University and private tours to the OBX but you can catch him in action at the 2019 EAA Airventure Show in Oshkosh, WI(July 22-28) and a couple of other public events before the end of the year...more information on these and other engagements to come as the events draw near!
HOW WILL YOUR ORGANIZATION CHANGE THE WORLD?
"As we watch the milestones slip by, one might say, we have inherited a legacy of greatness"(The Wright Memorial Dinner honoring John Glenn).
Darrell Collins, 2003
"Isn't it astonishing hat these secrets have been preserved for so many years...just so we could discover them."
Orville Wright, 1903
"It is not really necessary to look too far in to the future. We see enough already to be certain that it will be magnificent."
Wilbur Wright in Paris, 1908
100th Anniversary Of Flight -N.C. Senate Chambers!
12 Seconds That Changed The World!
The Story Comes To Life!
RESERVE YOUR STORYTIME!
Have an upcoming aviation or education event that your organization would like to invite Darrell to? In need of a Step-on Guide for your tour group? Please email to or call to check availability/fee and reserve on ALOG's 2018 Calendar. We look forward to hearing about your event and coordinating the opportunity!